Here is a brief guide to take you step-by-step through the registration of your work:
- Go to Artworks Register Deposit -> Timestamping system or to User Menu ->Timestamping system.
- You might be asked to complete your profile in case any information required to properly register your work is missing. Please use your real data and be careful that they are spelled correctly.
Now you have to fill in the details of your work:
- NAME: the name of your work.
- CATEGORY: you can specify one of the default categories for your work, e.g. music or text, or you can select other and specify your own category.
- PERSONAL COLLECTION: in case you created a collection, you can decide to link your work to it at this stage. You can also decide to link or unlink it at any time from within your personal pages.
We are considering the possibility to remove such option from the registration process and make it accessible from personal pages only.
- LICENSE: under which license you intend to distribute your work. You can choose Creative Commons licenses or closed licenses with the wording "all right reserved" or "no associated license".
- STATUS: here you can specify whether your work is a draft, final or anything in between. This choice does not affect the registration process as it does not show in the declaration of paternity. It is suppose to serve as an indication for the author to easily identify the status of the work at the time of registration. It will also be used in more services which we will release in the future to better organize registered works.
NOTE FOR AN ADVANCED USE (relevant to those who plan to register the same work at different stages): if you intend to register a work as a draft, at a later stage you can register it once again specifying that it is a child of the draft previously registered, through the option "this work derives from other works". We provide 4 different states to identify the progress of a work: draft, advanced draft, almost final and final. You can of course register more that one version of your work in the same state: for instance you can register 2 drafts, 3 almost final versions, as well as more than one final version. You can decide any of your registered states to be the parent of a specific version of your final work.
- WORK: upload your document or creative work in any file format
- DESCRIPTION: a description of your work, e.g. "draft of a novel that I plan to write".
- YOU ARE THE ONLY AUTHOR: let you to specify to indicate more authors, not necessarily Patamu users.
In case of Patamu users you have to fill in their first and last names and usernames.
In case of authors who are not Patamu users you have to fill in their first and last names, e-mail addresses and ID type and number.
In both cases you can specify to what extent they contributed to the work - from 0 to 100. Such indication is currently optional and it is not reported in the declaration of paternity. In the future we will require all the authors to acknowledge their contribution before is shown in the declaration of paternity. In such case, a first timestamping will be applied during the registration and a second one will be released once all the authors will have explicitly express their consent.
- YOUR WORK IS DERIVED FROM ANOTHER WORK: let you specify if your work derives from another work, which can be your or someone else's. For instance, you can specify that your final work derives from a registered draft of yours. Or that your work derives from a work released in public domain, or under a license that allows you to derive or adapt it, as the Creative Commons BY-NC-SA licenses. In such case, you only need to specify the Patamu license number of the parent work, or a series of other information that identities such parent work in case it is not registered on Patamu: name of the work, link at which it can be found/listened to/downloaded, type of the work and license under which it is released, collecting society or registry by which it is deposited, description of the work, first and last name of the main author (irrespective of whether they are more than one or a group), e-mail address of the main author or collective group.
- SEND DATA: the work will be uploaded to our system and you will be asked to check all data before the timestamp is applied. At this stage you can still modify any data in case they are incorrect, or proceed to apply the timestamp.
- APPLY TIMESTAMP: you are asked to agree to the disclaimer and type in a password for the compressed archive containing all your files that will be created. You can choose not to protect the archive with a password and that does not affect the timestamping process. In case you decide to specify a password, please keep it in a safe place as you will need to remember it for a long time. Such password will also be shown in the page reated to your work. Please be aware that any password can be read by the Patamu Team in case of any assistance request, therefore do not use sensitive password that you use for other services.
- TIMESTAPING DONE: you will be redirected to your personal page "My registered works" (you might be asked to log in again)
- LIST OF WORKS: your work will show up in your list of registered works, in a yellow box, to confirm that the timestamping succeeded but the timestamp has not yet been verified by you, which is strongly reccommended but not mandatory.
- STORE YOUR FILES: click on the arrows on the left to open a menu containing all the details about your work and download the zip archive and the tsr file generated by our system and store them in a safe place (these are the two files that together prove the validity of the timestamp).
- TIMESTAMP VERIFICATION: if you want to verify yourself that the timestamp applied to your work is valid, you can do so by following the instructions on our web site.
- DONE! Now that you have obtained a declaration of paternity for your work, you safely share it the way you like.
We have only one suggestion: do not be afraid of sharing your work all over the world!